Get a Library Card
Register for a library card at the checkout desk or online. You will be asked to present photo identification and a separate document providing proof of address, i.e. a piece of mail or a utility bill. Children and teens ages 17 and under must have their parent present in order to receive a card.
Full Access/CLC: Colorado residents 18 years or older with photo ID and valid Colorado mailing address may register for a library card. To acquire a library card for a child under 18 years of age, the child’s parent or legal guardian must present a photo ID and must accompany the child to the library. Bemis Public Library participates in Colorado Libraries Collaborate (CLC), enabling Colorado residents who do not live in Littleton to register for full access cards with photo ID.
Online Temporary Registration for Colorado Residents: Your online registration includes access to digital resources and an option to place in-house items on hold. You will need to present a photo ID at the library to obtain your physical card to check out library materials. Online temporary library cards expire six months from the issue date.
By signing the signature field, you are stating:
“I accept financial responsibility for the materials borrowed on this card and agree to follow all the rules of the Bemis Public Library. Children under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian present to obtain a permanent library card.”
Access to Cultural Passes, Kanopy, Hoopla, or physical items is not available.
LPS Onecard: LPS students and faculty have instant access to library databases and digital materials by using their Littleton Public School ID as their Bemis library card. LPS Onecard patrons may also check out 2 physical items with their LPS ID number.
Guest Card: Any patron living/working/staying in the City of Littleton on a temporary basis may register with photo ID and a valid U.S. mailing address for a limited-access Guest Card. This card allows the user to check out 2 physical items and access all other library resources except for pay-per-use platforms such as Kanopy and Hoopla. To acquire a library card for a child under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must present a valid photo ID and must accompany the child to the library.
Overdue fines for all Bemis Library materials accrue at the rate of $.20/day from the first day they are overdue. Overdue fines will be waived on items returned within five days of the due date. No single item will accrue more than $3.00 in overdue fines.
Sign up for text notification
Receive text message notifications for books that are available for pickup and those that are due soon. Request information about current checkouts and fines, and even renew the books and movies currently checked out.
How do I sign up?
- Text SIGNUP to: 1-844-225-9488
To receive messages in Spanish, use REGISTRESE instead of SIGNUP.
Para recibir mensajes en español, escriba REGISTRESE en lugar de SIGNUP.
- When prompted, enter library card # (full number with no spaces, e.g. 2181300xxxxxxx)
- Enter email address (optional)
What kinds of notices will I get?
- HOLDS: This is a notice that you have holds ready to be picked up.
- OVERDUE: This is a notice that things are already overdue.
- RENEW: This is a notice that things will soon be due, and you can renew them.
- FEES: This is a notice that there are fines or fees owed.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: These notices will feature library closures, etc.
Text messaging commands
(send all keywords to 1-844-225-9488):
- TEST: Test your connection to the service.
- HELP: Get help with a command. E.g., type HELP FEES to get help with that command.
- MYBOOKS: Inquire about the status of all of your library items.
- IOWEU: Get a list of fines and fees for all registered barcodes.
- RHL: Get a list of holds expiring soon.
- HL: Get a list of holds that are ready to pick up.
- OA: The service will attempt to renew all overdue items and will reply with a list of items that were successfully and unsuccessfully renewed.
- OL: Generates a numbered list of all overdue items eligible for renewal.
- RA: The service will attempt to renew all items and will reply with a list of items that were successfully and unsuccessfully renewed.
- RI: Get a list of items that are coming due and that cannot be renewed.
- RL: Generates a numbered list of renewable items.
- MYCARDS: Generates a numbered list of the barcodes currently registered to your phone.
- ADDCARD: This will add a barcode registered to your phone for notices.
- DROPCARD: To remove a card from your phone for notices.
- ADDEMAIL: Change email on your account.
- SWITCHPHONE: Update your phone number or mobile service provider (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc).
- RESEND: Receive last message again.
- STOP: Immediately remove your number from the text service, no questions asked.
- QUIT: Longer way to quit the service. You will be prompted to enter the barcode and will receive a message confirming your request.
When will I receive texts?
- Texts will be sent only when activity on your account triggers a message and will be sent between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Will I be charged for this service?
- The library doesn’t charge a fee for this service, but cell phone plan’s regular text messaging rates still apply. Check with your cell phone service provider to see the cost of text messages in your service plan. You can expect a larger volume of text messages with this service.